You can make the pictures bigger on this blog by double clicking on the picture and then clicking one more time for an even bigger picture:)

Friday, March 9, 2012

Homemade Snow Globes

Well, I realize it is March but I am going to post about my snow globes I made this year for handmade Christmas presents. They were a hit with my nephew and are fairly easy to make.



Supplies you will need...
--Different sized jars ( I purchased some new canning jars at Walmart).
--Trinkets or ornaments
--Distilled water
--Superglue
--Faux snow and glitter
--Glycerin ( this was hard to find but it is in the medical section of stores and comes as a clear liquid form in a bottle).

Searching for the trinkets and ornaments was so fun!  I scored thrift stores to made vintage "made in japan" wooden and plastic ornaments and trinkets.  Once you have those, you are good to go! 

Just glue the item to the lid of the jar (making sure it is placed so that the jar still closes when standing up right).  Let them sit that way for 24 hours with the superglue.  Next add your faux snow and glitter ( I used different kinds of glitter).  Fill the jar up with the distilled water and add a few drops of glycerin, which helps the snow to not stick.  Practice with the jar by flipping it over a few times.  I noticed that I usually never put enough water in and had to figure the approximate amount every time I made one.  Once your jar is ready to go, unscrew the lid and superglue around the inside of the lid.  Screw the lid back on and let it sit for another 24 hours. 

I pretty much followed Martha Stewart's directions.  Click here to go to a direct link for those. 


1 comment: